Dr James Mackinlay established the practice in 1875. Its original premises were at the junction of West Dyke Road and Millbank Terrace, at the "Green House Surgery".
In 1900, Dr Willie Mackinlay joined Dr James Mackinlay and they were subsequently joined By Dr George Young in 1920, and it was he who was first involved with the Lifeboat Service. Dr Young served as an honorary medical advisor with the Redcar Lifeboat until his death in 1956. It was apparently the case that Dr Young was only too willing to leave a very busy surgery for the excuse of getting out on the lifeboat to attend an emergency!
The Practice Partnership prior to moving to the Redcar Health Centre in 1975 consisted of Dr Cutts, Phillips, Whitehouse and Davidson. In those days Dr Cutts was President of Redcar Royal British Legion and Dr Phillips was team doctor to Middlesbrough Football Club and subsequently to the England Football National team when they were involved in the 1970 World Cup which was held in Mexico.
The practice divided in 1975, with Drs Whitehouse and Davidson working together and soon were joined by Dr Barker in 1976. Dr Cowser joined the team in 1991, followed by Dr Houldsworth in 2005. Julia Speight became the Practice's first non-GP Partner (Management Partner) in 2006. The final additions to the Practice are Dr Jesus Gonzalez-Castro, who joined in March 2015, followed by Dr Prinul Gunputh, who joined in April 2018.